Use these simple tips to protect your family from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that forms from incomplete combustion of fuels such as natural and liquefied petroleum gas, oil, wood, and coal. When CO is inhaled, it displaces the oxygen that would ordinarily bind with hemoglobin, a process that effectively suffocates the body. CO can poison slowly over a period of several hours, even in low concentrations. High concentrations of CO can kill in less than five minutes.
1. Install CO detectors
- Within 10 feet of every bedroom door
- On every floor of your home
- Near or over an attached garage
- Near, but not directly above, combustion appliances
- In the same room as permanently installed fuel-burning applicances
- In every HVAC zone of the building
2. Make sure appliances are installed & operated according to the manufacturers’ instructions & local building codes
3. Never burn charcoal inside a home, garage, vehicle, or tent.
4. Never leave a car running in an attached garage, even with the garage door open.
5. Never use a gas appliance, such as a stove, oven, or clothes dryer, to heat your home.
6. Do not operate generators in the garage or close to the home.
7. Never service fuel-burning applicances without the proper knowledge, skill, and tools.
8. Regularly inspect your home’s external vents & remove debris, dirt, or snow.
9. During home renovations, ensure vents & chimneys are not blocked by tarps or debris.
10. Never operate unvented fuel-burning appliances in rooms where people are sleeping.
If you have concerns about carbon monoxide in your home, call us at 512-467-2689 to schedule an in-home inspection.